Sony Interactive today announced its cloud game subscription service will offer lower pricing and expand with more blockbuster games. This is most likely to better compete against new game subscription services, like Apple Arcade and Google Stadia.
PlayStation Now subscriptions will start at $9.99 monthly while adding marquee, limited-time titles such as Grand Theft Auto V and God of War to the more than 800 games available on the service. PlayStation Now is the first and only console game subscription service on the market that uses cloud technology to deliver a breadth of unprecedented games.
PlayStation Now, which is available on PlayStation 4 and PC, will be offered at the following prices, keeping in line with pricing for other entertainment streaming services. Current customers will see this price change in their next billing cycle.
- US: $9.99 – monthly / $24.99 – quarterly / $59.99 – yearly (from 19.99/ 44.99/ 99.99)
- EU: €9.99 – monthly / €24.99 – quarterly / €59.99 – yearly (from 14.99/ (N/A)/ 99.99)
- UK: £8.99 – monthly / £22.99 – quarterly / £49.99 – yearly (from 12.99 / (N/A) / 84.99)
- JP: ¥1,180 – monthly / ¥2,980 – quarterly / ¥6,980 – yearly (from 2,500 / 5,900/ (N/A))
PlayStation Now will also expand on the industry’s largest games library for a console subscription service, with additional blockbuster content available for a limited window. These games can be streamed on a PS4 system or PC, or downloaded to a PS4 system. The new content is among the most-played and highly acclaimed games on the PS4 platform, and will be added on a monthly basis. Launching today are:
- God of War – From Santa Monica Studio, God of War won numerous 2018 “Game of the Year” honors worldwide.
- Grand Theft Auto V – From Rockstar Games, Grand Theft Auto V is the best-selling title of the current generation.
- inFAMOUS Second Son™ – From Sucker Punch Productions, one of the best-selling PlayStation 4 games to-date.
- UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End™ – Naughty Dog’s 2016 award-winning game, including BAFTA’s 2017 “Best Game.”
God of War, Grand Theft Auto V, inFAMOUS Second Son and UNCHARTED 4: A Thief’s End will be available from October 1, 2019 until January 2, 2020. Each month, the service will add a refreshed selection of marquee games that will be available for a limited period. This marquee content is on top of the existing offering of popular evergreen titles that are added to PlayStation Now on a regular basis.
With its recent expansion, Sony also begins its first-ever global marketing campaign for PlayStation Now to increase awareness in all 19 territories where the service is offered. This includes broadcast and digital campaigns, along with a new look and feel for the PlayStation Now branding.
Launched in 2014, PlayStation Now offers choice to gamers with how they want to access their gaming content. Gamers can choose to stream hundreds of PS4, PlayStation 3 and PlayStation 2 games available on their PS4 system or PC devices, or download more than 300 PS4 games on their PS4 system.
Some downloaded games support DLC and other user-purchased add-ons, as well as PS4 Pro enhancements. Seven-day free trials are available for new customers.